Wednesday 6 July 2011

HOT MEALS: Grazing at Gascoyne Place

Gascoyne Place is now serving up a grazing menu.
This pleases me for two reasons.
Firstly, I just love that style of eating. Tapas, mezze, anything like that with little plates of deliciousness to share which give my taste buds a work out is alright by me. For me it's the perfect way of eating because I never have to narrow my choices down to one, and then don't have to spend a meal trying to steal food from my partner's plate without him noticing.
And secondly, on the menu are sliders. I discovered sliders on a relatively recent visit to the states and instantly fell in love.
But sadly there is a distinct lack of them here back across the pond.
For those who don't know, sliders are basically mini burgers. Usually served as a trio they come with a selection of toppings, thus removing the need to choose what style of burger you're after, and they work equally well as a main for one, or as part of a sharing experience.
So anyway, they are on the new grazing menu at Gascoyne's which had me very excited.
Sliders
And frankly, there wasn't any option when we visited. They were definitely going to feature on our menu selection.
And very good they were too. The patties were well made, not overcooked and very tasty, and topped with a nice selection of ingredients – beetroot, blue cheese and classic American. It was a real taste of New York. More places in Bath should serve sliders. I would eat there for sure.

Charcuterie

Along with the sliders we chose the charcuterie plate which came with bread and pickles. It was a reasonable selection - nothing particularly out of the ordinary, but a good, safe, tasty choice.
We also decided to try the butternut squash risotto balls with red pepper oil. Little bite-sized balls – crispy on the outside, soft on the inside with the delicious nutty sweetness of the squash sitting perfectly with the creamy rice. I could happily have eaten more of them!
Our selection from the Grazing menu
I've always thought that the menu at Gascoyne Place was a bit serious, so it's great that there is now this lighter, slightly more fun option. Divided into small plates, large plates and something sweet it's easy to choose something to suit your appetite. It's perfect if you just want a snack with drinks, and it works equally well for lunch and dinner.
I think it is a very welcome addition to the full menu – especially those sliders!
 www.gascoyneplace.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment